Mar 2, 2009

Sot Got

I have been overwhelmed looking for a job. It requires so many things - the realistic matters - to consider.

I am surprised to see myself intimidated by the children that I work with - it is probably because my first time to work with the little ones in art therapy? Although I have had much more experiences with children than adults, I feel more effective for adults when it comes to art somehow.

The image above illustrates my struggles when working with the children's groups at my internship. There has been a time my clients challenged me recently. I can never expect what might happen before it happens.

The triangle-shaped hat in the collage above is called a "Sot Got" in Korea. They are made of bamboo leaves or reed. Sot Got comes from the Korean dynasty, Cho Sun. People used to wear Sot Got just like shades - those who spent a lot of time or work in the sun, such as, farmers and others wore them to protect their faces from the intense sunlight. Also, people wore them to hide their identities, using the shape of the hat - huge triangle that covers the eyes from the outside. This fuction ended up as the trademark of the hat. In the movies or books, people in Sot Got are shown as the suspicious, mysterious characters.

I imagined the children sitting under this mysterious hat. I feel that children are unpredictable a lot of times, just like it's never easy to see the person's face under Sot Got.
This collage makes me laugh though, as it reminds of the kids that I work with. Although it is tricky to predict where their intentions are; I can still see their playful, silly smiles that are under their Sot Got.

No comments:

Post a Comment