Mar 16, 2009

Cherry Blossom, Magnolia

March is a festive month in my country. The school year starts in March, weather gets much warmer, and the Cherry Blossom!! Cherry Blossom is orginally from Japan. However, there are many of these trees all over the peninsula since the colonial time (19c). Japanese people were pretty smart about controlling Korea by planting their awesome looking national flower everywhere so I get to enjoy! (hm, I might get in trouble for saying this in Korea)
There are festivals in different cities to celebrate its blooming. The festivals only last for 1-2 weeks because that's how long the flowers last...

I remember the time when I worked at a hospital last year. In one of the outpatient groups I was leading, a couple of patients started sharing their stories about the flowers they would find on their way to the hospital every morning. They were so facinated by the flowers because they thought that the flowers were bringing them the new spring season. Their documentation on the blooming process of Magnolia was our check-in. I learned that Magnolia is the one that's big Chicago, not Cherry Blossom

Clearly, I miss the beautiful Cherry Blossom in my country. I like when they glow in dark (really do!) Also, when the wind (more like breeze) blows, the petals fall off the branches and fly in the air............ like the romantic type of snow !

No comments:

Post a Comment