Feb 22, 2009

misool means fine art

I am usually attracted to things that are not so obvious:
unpredictible, dual/multiple functioning, mixed messages

I want to share some of the pieces I enjoy.
I enjoy these two prints because they are not typical Asian art, although you could still guess where they are coming from.

Parrot on Flowering Branch,Tsuruoka Kakunen, 1940

Parrots rarely appear in Asian art, so it was tricky for me to identify just with a glance. Then, I find some oriental components, such as flower and the signature.



Evening at Dotonbori, Osaka, Uehara Konen, 1928

This piece confuses me(my favorite type of art=confusing art) with two different styles: traditional folk style and animation. The colors and the image don't match either way.
At the same time, the image itself is not clear. It may look rainy, but could be skinny branches in the fog.



Shanghai Cafe Dancers, Yamamura Toyonari, 1924

Oh my gosh! Asian Toulouse Lautrec!! ........

of couse, my affection towards Henri de Toulouse Lautrec never changes








Also, I enjoy following styles of drawings/collages.
Cuban artist, Carlos Estevez (click, and I take you there!)

Los sueños y el inconciente colectivo, Carlos Estevez, 2003
Watercolor and pencil on paper




Mecánica natural. Carlos Estevez, 1997
Watercolor and pencil on paper




La dama de los peces, Carlos Estevez, 2005
Collage on paper




No comments:

Post a Comment