Apr 27, 2009

artful walk


Jack is an 8-year-old Latino boy. I have been working with this bright, sensitive boy through individual art therapy, since last December.
I have sensed that the men are expected to be strong and independent (macho) in Latino culture. I've always wondered if that is the reason why Jack does not express his emotions (especially if they are negative), yet only smiles. So I have been supporting Jack by understanding his feelings and encouraging him to express the feelings appropriately.
Jack has been holding back his feelings of hurt and sad after his parents' separation. Also, he has been trying to tell himself that it is okay...for his biological dad to forget about their weekend plan. To help Jack to realize and to understand his own feelings better, I started meditation with him for the check in every session. While feeling "weird" about the new experience, Jack started releasing his feelings that he has been holding on all this time. He learned to get his tears out when he needs to, as well as expressing that he misses his dad.

The images above are the photos Jack took while we were taking a walk after our session last Friday.

I like to give the least control to children. Yet, I agree that appropriate controls can be helpful for the children's growth, especially for the socialization.
Therefore, I like to give chilren the freedom explore, and give them one (or two, depending on their development) concrete rule that they may understand, at the same time.
(Compromise is effective at all times!)
For instance, I respect Jack's desire of taking photos on his own, yet negotiate with one rule that I have for him. (The key point here is: to be concrete with the rule that you are proposing, and to clearly convey the reason why they need the rule.)
"This camera is really important to me because my dad gave it to me as a gift. You are welcome to use it now, and there is one thing I want you to keep in mind while using it. Try to keep the strap around your wrist, so you won't drop my camera. Do you think you can do it?" Just like adults, children appreciate trust and affirmation. (esp. important note in working with children)
As soon as holding the camera in his hand, S starts pusing the shutter button towards whatever is catching his eyes. Cracked cement on the sidewalk, the ladybug on the leaf, the church across the crosswalk, broken glass on the street.........

I can still remember his smile that lasted throughout the beautiful afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment